sovay: (Rotwang)
sovay ([personal profile] sovay) wrote2026-10-18 01:28 pm

I spent seventeen pounds on mushrooms for you

Prior to the interruption of the merlin, I had been trying to assemble some links. I leave them here before leaving the house properly for the first time in in five days. There was frost on all the sidewalks and windshields last night.

1. On closer research, Harcourt Williams was not part of the first English-language radio version of Karel Čapek's R.U.R.; that was broadcast by 2LO in May 1927 and Williams played Alquist in the November repeat. If the James Whale among the robots of the original cast is the same as the director who was more of an actor until the smash success of Journey's End, however, it's a wonderful through-line to his future world of gods and monsters.

2. Since Spotify isn't region-locked, I was able to listen to Shelagh Delaney's Catch Me Who Can (1978/2026), the rediscovered one-act adapted for radio by her daughter Charlotte after her death in 2011. It's a two-hander that widens into a quartet, counterpointing a fourteen-year-old runaway to the middle-aged maths teacher who almost literally runs across her in a park and then chipping in to their argument—immediately over her truancy, generally over the shapeless unanswerable questions of life—with an elderly bag lady and a young despatch rider who contribute everything from a spare lid to intimations of anarchy. It stars Ivy Sheehan, Toby Jones, Xavier Moras Spencer, and the iconic hat-tip of Rita Tushingham and runs half an hour with incidental music and ducks. I would say that I am accommodating to audio drama except that I still can't even read e-mail while listening.

3. Fingers crossed that Theo Rollason's Queer Edward II (2026) shows up anywhere I can see it. Jarman's screenplay-diary of the same name is one of my treasures from long-missed McIntyre and Moore's. Edward II (1991) was in fact the second film of Jarman's I ever saw, immediately on the heels of Caravaggio (1986) with [personal profile] rushthatspeaks in the first year of our relationship when he still lived half a country away and we saw one another at three- to six-month intervals and otherwise I would walk as far as Belmont on long nightly calls with him. This documentary is the first I am hearing of the filmmaker, but I wish I had known about them in time for Readercon; their debut short co-directed with Tabitha Carless-Frost was Out of the Peat (2025).

4. It took me a year to get back to watching the second series of Poldark (1975–77), but even at potato quality, my attention span buckled instantly at the appearance of the not yet twenty-one-year-old Kevin McNally. No rewind on an actor is ever going to be weirder than the time I accidentally chased The Legend of Hell House (1973) with Lassie Come Home (1943), but the distance from the midlife roles I learned him in is still a striking ghost-trick. His voice was so much lighter, even with the assist of the West Country accent I wouldn't have placed him by it. His face had its eyebrows to grow into, like a puppy with its paws. In movement he was instantly recognizable, the swing of his wrist in the cuff of an eighteenth-century shirt; it's a good era for him. I didn't expect him to make me think of Fuchsia Groan: but with how small a twist might she not suddenly have become beautiful.

5. While I cannot volunteer to write for it, I found their letter through friends-of-friendlist and I dearly hope that [personal profile] thefourthvine gets their Leo Marks for Yuletide.
jesse_the_k: Gray + wrinkled w tortoiseshell glasses bigger than Harry Caray's (JK 69 square specs)

[personal profile] jesse_the_k 2026-10-18 05:41 pm (UTC)(link)

How I wish I had my mother's eyebrows to grow into, and a puppy to play with me to boot.

May the frosty sidewalks be totally unslippery!

thisbluespirit: (poldark)

[personal profile] thisbluespirit 2026-10-18 07:18 pm (UTC)(link)
except that I still can't even read e-mail while listening.

I don't think that counts; my brain breaks at the idea of being able to do anything else requiring attention beyond the physical while listening to audio drama, and that was true when I was much better than I am now. I am scared of people who can do it, lol. I know some people not only can but can't listen any other way, but the divide between those extremes is real.

was able to listen to Shelagh Delaney's Catch Me Who Can (1978/2026), the rediscovered one-act adapted for radio by her daughter Charlotte after her death in 2011.

Oh, cool. (I still can't remember if I ever saw the end of A Taste of Honey. One day I should check!)

ut even at potato quality, my attention span buckled instantly at the appearance of the not yet twenty-one-year-old Kevin McNally.

He's really good in it. *nods* Welcome also to George's attempts to raise the bar on Francis's terrible choices, with worse coats. I've rewatched s1 more than s2 (not for any particular reason, I just seem to have got halfway through a rewatch and stopped last time, while I also giffed s1 more back in the day), but with that notwithstanding, whereabouts are you up to (by events, because my s2 DVDs were also the smushed-into-one-giant-edit versions too and so I have no idea about episodes).

Not Poldark, but v. nice tumblr relevant-to-you gif, if you haven't seen it: https://www.tumblr.com/corallapis/830755008811335680/tegan-never-knew-why-the-doctor-had-swallowed?source=share (lol, also just looked at the reblogs and found the tag "men with birds on their head are ruining my life").
thisbluespirit: (poldark)

[personal profile] thisbluespirit 2026-10-19 07:06 pm (UTC)(link)
Just the first episode. Having contrived to get himself burnt out of Trenwith at the end of the first series, George has installed himself in another of the former ancestral Poldark homes and under a negatively auspicious eclipse Elizabeth has presented him with son and heir Valentine so long as no one like Aunt Agatha squints too closely at the dates.

What could possibly go wrong??

Dwight may be missing in action and I will in any case have to get used to him not being played by Richard Morant. Further bulletins as events and George's life decisions warrant.

Being a PoW is a traumatising experience, a person can totally change appearance every now and then. XD

I appreciate both that gifset and extremely that tag!

<3
nineweaving: (Default)

[personal profile] nineweaving 2026-10-19 01:00 am (UTC)(link)
...before leaving the house properly for the first time in in five days.

I hope this mean you have a door!

Nine
nineweaving: (Default)

[personal profile] nineweaving 2026-10-19 04:31 am (UTC)(link)
Bah. May you have one soon.

Nine
gwynnega: (Your Monster)

[personal profile] gwynnega 2026-10-19 06:09 am (UTC)(link)
I love the idea of accidentally going back thirty years in Roddy McDowall's career.