sovay: (Sovay: David Owen)
sovay ([personal profile] sovay) wrote2026-10-17 04:57 pm

And it made you seem so human and it made it seem like you had hopes and dreams and plans

A week out from reading in Providence and five days after a crush of strangers in the house, I seem not to have COVID-19, which is the nicest thing I can say about this week. I may have some kind of ordinary cold. We have duly reported the further possessions we found missing and heard nothing from the property manager about the plywood sandwich that used to be our back door. Hestia has been checking in with me before bed, often trampling herself a nest on my ankles while I read. I stopped sleeping for three nights.

Halloween has sprung on our street. Our facing neighbors in particular have pulled out all the spooky stops with a fringe of cheesecloth ghosts and plastic skeletons hanging from the top of their porch and woolly-bear-like garlands and spiderwebs all through the railings and an array of mostly albino pumpkins and autumnally colored flowers on the steps. Since I have had an unobstructed view of their house from my office ever since the Bradford pear on our sidewalk was cut down in the spring, I appreciate it. I had such a dichotomous relationship with this holiday as a child. I loved the costumes which could be planned for half a year, the door-to-door of the trick-or-treating, the leaf-weather, the dark. It was full of bones and masks, the skull beneath the skin. Everything I read told me the world swung open and the in-between came through.

I was distracted from continuing this post by the sudden arrival of a small falcon in the yew tree outside my window. It was after the sparrows who scattered with a frantic twitter. Its slate-brown back and its buff-brindled breast and its black-banded tail were so distinct that the internet tells me it was a merlin. I had never seen one with my own eyes. It thrashed around in the red-berried needles and took wing again. I want to take it as a good sign. It perched briefly on the edge of our porch. It gave a small sharp cry.
muccamukk: Wanda walking away, surrounded by towering black trees, her red cloak bright. (Default)

[personal profile] muccamukk 2026-10-17 10:07 pm (UTC)(link)
I really love your writing.

I hope you feel better soon.

Beginning to suspect that your property manager is a bit of a knob.
theseatheseatheopensea: Cover of Talk Talk's album Missing pieces by James Marsh (Missing pieces Dodo)

[personal profile] theseatheseatheopensea 2026-10-17 10:10 pm (UTC)(link)
I want to take it as a good sign.

I always take it that way when I see a bird. Everything else may be crappy, but at least I saw a pretty bird! <3

asakiyume: (autumn source)

[personal profile] asakiyume 2026-10-17 10:51 pm (UTC)(link)
A merlin is definitely a good sign. Beautiful birds.

You said "a dichotomous relationship" but I don't catch the dichotomy? Or I'm missing the direction in which you intend it? I see your love for the season, the holiday, the in-between. (I love that about this season too.) But so the dichotomy? Carried away by the merlin, maybe?

Here's to restful sleep for you.
asakiyume: (autumn source)

[personal profile] asakiyume 2026-10-18 01:24 am (UTC)(link)
Ahh, okay, I understand now. Very much makes sense.
gwynnega: (Your Monster)

[personal profile] gwynnega 2026-10-17 11:20 pm (UTC)(link)
I'm glad you're still avoiding Covid! I hope you get a new back door soon.

It's nice that your neighborhood is going all out for Halloween.

"Leaf-weather" is a beautiful phrase.
moon_custafer: neon cat mask (Default)

[personal profile] moon_custafer 2026-10-18 06:49 am (UTC)(link)
I forgot to check when I was out earlier this afternoon whether it is still possible to be mooned by the gay skeleton.


If the skeleton intends it, yes. It’s all in the gesture.
nineweaving: (Default)

[personal profile] nineweaving 2026-10-18 01:32 am (UTC)(link)
A merlin! How wonderful! Was it one of the Forest Sauvage?

Nine
nineweaving: (Default)

[personal profile] nineweaving 2026-10-18 02:03 am (UTC)(link)
]selkie did alert me recently to the return of the White Hart.

Wow!

Nine
selkie: (Default)

[personal profile] selkie 2026-10-18 07:14 am (UTC)(link)
*crisp clanging sounds*

Mkay. Well. If anyone is lying about in ponds. Distributing swords. Just… just seize the day.

I’ll fetch TW’s little horned helmet.
vass: Small turtle with green leaf in its mouth (Default)

[personal profile] vass 2026-10-18 02:01 pm (UTC)(link)
May it be a good sign for you.
umadoshi: (autumn - cat and moon (kat_lair))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2026-10-18 05:20 pm (UTC)(link)
No small hooray for dodging covid, at least!

Your property "manager" needs to be fired. >.< Perhaps from a cannon.

A clear view of good Hallowe'en decor sounds lovely indeed!

Whether it's a sign or not, I love that a merlin visited you. *hugs*
regshoe: Blurry outline of head and upper body of a white dove, with image of the sea, against a black background; with blurry red text 'birds' (birds)

[personal profile] regshoe 2026-10-18 06:04 pm (UTC)(link)
First, thank you for distracting me from further developments in the stressful bathroom renovation saga with some bird ID research.

So: it seems the same merlin species, Falco columbarius, is found in both Europe and North America, and it's possible their habitat preferences differ over their range but I would be very surprised to see one in an urban or suburban garden—they're really only found in open countryside round here. If someone near me said they'd seen a merlin in their garden I would go, ah, that'll have been a (Eurasian) sparrowhawk, Accipiter nisus, and I was going to suggest whether there might be a similar species in your area but the taxonomy of Accipiter and their relatives seems to have got a lot more complicated since I last looked... hmm, Astur cooperii looks possible... OTOH the picture at the top of the Wikipedia page for the merlin was apparently taken in a park in New York City, so perhaps I am wrong about their habitat specificity after all!

Whatever it was, what a lovely sighting.
regshoe: (Look! A bird!)

[personal profile] regshoe 2026-10-18 07:44 pm (UTC)(link)
Accipiter nisus does have a fairly stripy tail, but I don't know whether the other hawks in that group do too. Probably the most consistent difference between Falco and the Accipitridae lot is eye colour (black or dark/orange or yellow), but you need a really good view to get that.

ETA: And they're not closely related at all! It's a really neat example of convergent evolution how similar they can look.

I sort of assumed it was passing through.

It is migration season, that's true! Hmm, and my big book on raptors notes that North American merlins are the most strongly migratory of its world populations.

My city normally just gets peregrine falcons, red-tailed hawks, and ospreys.

:O Those are pretty exciting! Ospreys are very much not an urban bird round here either.
Edited 2026-10-18 19:45 (UTC)
sholio: Jack-o-lanterns (Halloween-jack-o-lanterns)

[personal profile] sholio 2026-10-18 06:05 pm (UTC)(link)
What a lovely experience with the merlin! It feels like a good sign, anyway.

I'm glad your neighbors are giving you some nice Halloween views! I always enjoy this season.
thisbluespirit: (Default)

[personal profile] thisbluespirit 2026-10-18 07:21 pm (UTC)(link)
Its slate-brown back and its buff-brindled breast and its black-banded tail were so distinct that the internet tells me it was a merlin. I had never seen one with my own eyes.

That ought to be a good sign, but it does anyway sound like a lovely unexpected thing!! <333
aurumcalendula: gold, blue, orange, and purple shapes on a black background (Default)

[personal profile] aurumcalendula 2026-10-19 04:17 am (UTC)(link)
Ugh re: the property manager. Yay for the merlin!

I'm glad you've avoided Covid I hope you feel better soon!
davidgillon: A pair of crutches, hanging from coat hooks, reflected in a mirror (Default)

[personal profile] davidgillon 2026-10-19 11:26 pm (UTC)(link)
I was distracted from continuing this post by the sudden arrival of a small falcon in the yew tree outside my window.

I was distracted today when I glanced up and saw a heron flapping by. I've seen herons in pools before, but I'm not certain I've seen one in flight, and certainly not over my home town.