sovay: (What the hell ass balls?!)
sovay ([personal profile] sovay) wrote2026-10-22 05:51 pm

The pricing of a flower should just stay the same

Anyway, while I was distracted by filing a claim for our stolen and damaged property, support for the non-subscription version of Microsoft Word 2021 ran out and as of this evening I am once again locked out of my own archive of intellectual property on my own computer. It contains to feel invasive and insane to me that it is even possible to brick a one-time purchase in order to force compliance with a subscription service. I had just begun to write for the first time in weeks about a movie. At this point I just want to die about it.
sabotabby: a computer being attacked by arrows. Text reads "butlerian jihad now. Send computers to hell. If you make a robot I will kill you." (bulterian jihad)

[personal profile] sabotabby 2026-10-22 10:05 pm (UTC)(link)
They shut off our access at work. It’s some bullshit. I haven’t used it in years but they really shouldn’t be able to do this.
sabotabby: a computer being attacked by arrows. Text reads "butlerian jihad now. Send computers to hell. If you make a robot I will kill you." (bulterian jihad)

[personal profile] sabotabby 2026-10-23 12:32 am (UTC)(link)
God I hope so. Though the legal response to tech assholes appears to be "because fuck you, that's why."
nineweaving: (Default)

[personal profile] nineweaving 2026-10-23 01:19 am (UTC)(link)
Fuck Microsoft.

Nine
selkie: (Default)

[personal profile] selkie 2026-10-23 01:36 am (UTC)(link)
I don’t see why the end of support means the end of access?!! WTF.
*hugs*
aurumcalendula: gold, blue, orange, and purple shapes on a black background (Default)

[personal profile] aurumcalendula 2026-10-23 02:38 am (UTC)(link)
Ugh *hugs*
asakiyume: (Aquaman is sad)

[personal profile] asakiyume 2026-10-23 03:04 am (UTC)(link)
We hates them precioussss.

But really. Singular me hates them.
alatefeline: Painting of a cat asleep on a book. (Default)

[personal profile] alatefeline 2026-10-23 03:41 am (UTC)(link)
I'm so sorry. This is just awful on top of all the other problems stemming from the break-in. You have had many many many times your share of unkindness and bad luck recently.

I hope that your cat and other loved ones can remind you of reasons to stay alive.

There are lots of people really desperately looking for those lately. I think of us as like the SETI scan volunteers of reasons to hope. We'll find something breathtaking someday, and until then, we'll keep looking and finding interest in the search itself.

I just really hope it helps a tiny bit for you to know you are not alone.
bikergeek: cartoon bald guy with a half-smile (Default)

[personal profile] bikergeek 2026-10-23 03:47 am (UTC)(link)
This sounds perilously close to the perennially annoying "Install Linux", but have you considered LibreOffice? Can read and write M$ Word and Excel format files.
bikergeek: cartoon bald guy with a half-smile (Default)

[personal profile] bikergeek 2026-10-23 04:02 am (UTC)(link)
Well, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work. Just thought I'd throw it out there; a lot of people don't know there are alternatives.

The only way M$ would ever make anything that didn't suck is if they branched out into vacuum cleaners.

Best of luck.
gullyfoyle: (Default)

[personal profile] gullyfoyle 2026-10-23 04:40 am (UTC)(link)
Is MacOS current on your Mac? If not, that might play into this. MS has dropped support for Word/Office 2021 (both Windows and Mac, I believe), but that doesn't mean that the apps immediately break. At least, it's never meant that in the past. So this sounds like the security certificate issue that happened in July. If you have an update function in Word, give that a try. Even if that doesn't fix it now, hopefully MS will resolve this soon.
gullyfoyle: (Default)

[personal profile] gullyfoyle 2026-10-23 04:51 am (UTC)(link)
Sorry the update check didn't work. Keep searching on the issue for recent developments. Hopefully I'm not being overly optimistic in thinking that this is a(nother) bug and not a design decision and that a resolution other than purchasing a cloud license will be forthcoming.
gwynnega: (Leslie Howard mswyrr)

[personal profile] gwynnega 2026-10-23 04:24 am (UTC)(link)
This is so enraging.
sholio: Chess queen looking horrified (Chess piece oh noes)

[personal profile] sholio 2026-10-23 06:05 am (UTC)(link)
Ugh, not another completely unnecessary and infuriating thing to deal with! I'm so sorry about the latest bullshit.
thisbluespirit: (b7 - avon)

[personal profile] thisbluespirit 2026-10-23 08:35 am (UTC)(link)
Argh! I hope you can sort something soon. *hugs*
umadoshi: (Newsflesh - make things worse (kasmir))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2026-10-23 11:49 am (UTC)(link)
It contains to feel invasive and insane to me that it is even possible to brick a one-time purchase in order to force compliance with a subscription service.

This is so wildly not okay. Fuckers. :(