sovay: (Lord Peter Wimsey: passion)
sovay ([personal profile] sovay) wrote2026-10-09 11:52 pm

And then I hugged the track of naked stone where the glacier used to be

My birthday will be celebrated familially when my brother and niece can make it into town, but for the day itself I walked around the granite shoulders and pine-drift of the Fells and breathed air that smelled like winters of leaves and a cold front of groundwater washing suddenly across the trail. Fallen trees had reared ragged cascades of roots out of the earth. The reed-islanded straggle of Long Pond reflected as exactly as glass. A great blue heron was perching in the maple-tinged brush at its margin; later a flight of wood ducks clattered off across the sunset glowing through the lily pads. My camera faded on me less than ten minutes in. Home, we ordered for the first time in ages from the extravagance of Muqueca, whose bacalhau à capixaba turns out to be an intricately sweet and robust stew of thick salt cod and plantains and tomatoes in coconut milk, garnished with half-slices of hard-boiled eggs and the pungent flecks of green olives. We watched the two episodes of Small Prophets (2026) currently available in this country and then the first half of The Caves of Androzani (1984). It was not a complicated time; it was nice. There was water and trees.

asakiyume: created by the ninja girl (Default)

[personal profile] asakiyume 2026-10-10 06:14 am (UTC)(link)
whose bacalhau à capixaba turns out to be an intricately sweet and robust stew of thick salt cod and plantains and tomatoes in coconut milk, garnished with half-slices of hard-boiled eggs and the pungent flecks of green olives.

OMG

I want to eat that on *my* birthday.

(The afternoon sounds lovely)
asakiyume: (autumn source)

[personal profile] asakiyume 2026-10-10 11:47 am (UTC)(link)
I put my face against the bark of a tree and it smelled like old memory.

This, I feel this. I feel this so powerfully. I understood all your words in that paragraph but this, I felt there with you for this. I know, I know exactly this. Thank you.

... And yeah, I found myself yesterday thinking of Bright Water Bog and you.
ashlyme: Picture of me wearing a carnival fox mask (Default)

[personal profile] ashlyme 2026-10-10 10:56 am (UTC)(link)
Happy birthday! That sounds like a good afternoon. How are you finding Small Prophets?
Edited 2026-10-10 10:58 (UTC)
umadoshi: (riceball love (snowgarden))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2026-10-10 02:52 pm (UTC)(link)
Belated birthday wishes! I hope this year to come holds many, many good things for you. *hugs*
alatefeline: Painting of a cat asleep on a book. (Default)

[personal profile] alatefeline 2026-10-10 03:00 pm (UTC)(link)
I'm so glad you had a beautiful day and thankful for you describing it so beautifully where people can read about it.
regshoe: Captain Hoseason and Two-Legged Barry from NTS Kidnapped, pointing and grinning at someone out of frame (Hoseason and Barry)

[personal profile] regshoe 2026-10-10 04:21 pm (UTC)(link)
Happy birthday! Those are some good trees and water.
gwynnega: (Your Monster)

[personal profile] gwynnega 2026-10-10 08:36 pm (UTC)(link)
I am glad you had such a lovely birthday, with delicious food!
thawrecka: (Default)

[personal profile] thawrecka 2026-10-11 02:20 am (UTC)(link)
Happy birthday!