It feels so warm inside your atmosphere
I had just gotten used to the raw autumnal bluster of the last week when temperatures this afternoon boinged close to 90 °F and everything became summer-sticky again. I recognize this phenomenon and every year I am unimpressed by it. The leaves have not fully flashed over, but I saw a classically orange maple while out on errands, bright as crepe paper.
On something of the same theme,
spatch had warned me that Turlough would be leaving in Planet of Fire (1984), but not that Mark Strickson would be going up against David Farrar in Black Narcissus (1947) for Great Moments in Booty Shorts. At the point where he dropped to his speedos he probably won. That's for those of you who have absolutely no interest in pirates.
On something of the same theme,

no subject
Commiserations on the loss of that wonderfully devious Trion, and I hope you enjoy Caves, too!
no subject
I mean, it's a real case of something for everyone.
(I was more prepared for the bikini than the shorts.)
(Nicola Bryant was famously 'rescued' by a nude German tourist who thought she was drowning for real.)
I remembered that from interviews! And that according to Mark Strickson, when they did manage to film the scene he was the one who nearly drowned.
Commiserations on the loss of that wonderfully devious Trion, and I hope you enjoy Caves, too!
Thank you! Thanks to the limits of my TV-watching capabilities, we have not quite lost him yet. I have enjoyed the Fifth Doctor immensely and see no reason for that to change with his sendoff. After which
no subject
There is a school of thought that favours Peter's forearms, it's true. XD
we have not quite lost him yet. I have enjoyed the Fifth Doctor immensely and see no reason for that to change with his sendoff. After which [personal profile] spatch already wants to head back for The Happiness Patrol.
An excellent watching plan! <333
no subject
I found some of it.
(Actually my favorite fruit of Planet of Fire-related Tumblr so far is the implication that a very thirsty fan letter manifested Mark Strickson minus pants.)
An excellent watching plan!
I can now accept your condolences, although as companion exits go it was a pretty great one. "I've learnt a lot from you."
no subject
I can now accept your condolences, although as companion exits go it was a pretty great one. "I've learnt a lot from you."
Yeah, it is. <3
I'm so glad you've enjoyed Five (and friends) so much, btw. I mean, I think that was obvious, but it's been such fun to hear.
no subject
It didn't.
I'm so glad you've enjoyed Five (and friends) so much, btw. I mean, I think that was obvious, but it's been such fun to hear.
Thank you. It's slightly surprised me. I have not felt similarly compelled to watch the complete Tom Baker. I still have two serials outstanding with the Seventh Doctor, whom I loved from the second
(The Black Archives have not done a monograph on Planet of Fire, either. They are tragically behind on the Davison era. It's too much of a four-pound bag of a serial for me to love it like Enlightenment or Frontios, but shorts aside it gives great Turlough: I get to feel smug for calling the political exile as far back as Mawdryn Undead and I hope Peter Grimwade felt smug for getting to write his authorial headcanon into the series after all. Considered as a revisiting of the character, it's especially good stuff because Grimwade gets that Turlough's defining motif is not betrayal but doing the right thing even or especially if it scares him stiff, of which turning himself in to the victorious regime that had him branded and imprisoned and his surviving family scattered is an idtastically prime example. As on Frontios, he doesn't have to do it. It's textually established that he could just keep shtum and let the Doctor take the refugees off Sarn in the TARDIS and go on living with his half-truths and his shame: "You have to be very special to wear the Misos Triangle." It would represent a hard backslide on his part, but then so has his panicked sabotage of the TARDIS and Kamelion to keep the Doctor from making the connection with Trion, which by now feels sufficiently out of character for him that whatever's behind it has to be Black Guardian levels of scary, resurrecting the Enlightenment question of whether it could rattle him so much that he blinks at the last minute and blows all his moral gains. He puts the call through to the Custodians of Trion in a way he can't slither out of even if he does have second thoughts—name, rank, and serial number, unambiguously identified as a soldier from the wrong side of the war, the Brendon runaway, what literally on Earth did he call himself with a forename like Vislor? School-uniformed and waspish, he's always been such a plausibly queer character that it faintly bewilders me that at least one of the audios gives him a het love interest, but it doesn't hurt the coding any that his other defining motif is coming out with the truth about himself and damn the consequences. And it's rewarded: he doesn't lose the Doctor's trust, against all expectations he can go home. It's extremely affirming and rather stark in contrast to Tegan's just noping out. Mark Strickson keeps up the physical acting that built as much of Turlough as his lines; still those slightly defensive, apprehensive shoulders, but I didn't catch him wringing his hands. That half-smile at the last in lieu of whatever else he would have said.
no subject
It is a good era! And there is something addictive about the continuity of it. I find that the two parts of Classic Who I binge-watch whole sections of for comfort are Five and the S1-2 with the First Doctor, both of which lead from one story into another, and have multiple companions (including at least one who has been kidnapped and wants to go home) and loose character arcs. Which I hadn't really thought like that before, and which may be entirely irrelevant to the appeal for you, even if it isn't solely Mark Strickson!
I think even if Four is a person's fave, you can't exactly do all of him in a hurry anyway - there's so much of him and it comes in at least 3 or 4 distinct flavours and people usually dislike at least one of them more than the others.
It's too much of a four-pound bag of a serial for me to love it like Enlightenment or Frontios,
Ha, yes, it is; that's a very apt description. But as you say, a very good exit for Turlough, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. (A DW fandom debate with no answer you have now entered into: is Vislor a title of some kind or a first name? If the former, he doesn't have to worry about it being awkward!) It does have Peter Wyngarde as well, so there's that. And you now know where Peri came from, to add to What She Had To Put Up With (re. The Twin Dilemma, lol). Spatch's summary is v amusing!
no subject
(I never managed to watch much of Six as I was too upset about losing Five; possibly I could (almost) be over that now?)
no subject
I was impressed!
(I never managed to watch much of Six as I was too upset about losing Five; possibly I could (almost) be over that now?)
My total experience of the Sixth Doctor has been Vengeance on Varos and
no subject
no subject
Happily I do not feel compelled to watch it.
no subject
Maybe I'm finally losing it, but didn't you tell me you'd watched it for the Kevin McNally? (The Twin Dilemma is Six's regeneration story, and a strong contender in the Worst DW Serial category. When you've finished watching Caves you have to imagine turning up next week to find out what the new Doctor was like - and it really was next week - and getting The Twin Dilemma.)
no subject
I BLACKED IT OUT.
SLUGS HAPPENED.
no subject
LOL, valid. XD
no subject
no subject
I like autumn so much. (I do prefer it when it's cold.)
no subject
... myself, I've always liked summer's heat best of all, but I can appreciate the temperatures of the other seasons (so long as I believe that I'll be able to get warm indoors!)
no subject
I have always liked cold weather best. It's one of my many beefs with anthropogenic climate change.
no subject
no subject
no subject
Condolences! Fall should stay fallen.
no subject
Haha, Planet of
The ShortsFire is definitely An Experience!I hope you get proper autumn weather very soon! <3
no subject
The ShortsFire is definitely An Experience!It was an experience I enjoyed! I was just not braced for all of it!
[edit] Courtesy of Tumblr.
I hope you get proper autumn weather very soon!
Thank you! The temperature just crashed and I am happier!
*hugs*