sovay: (Morell: quizzical)
sovay ([personal profile] sovay) wrote2026-08-13 08:32 pm

You can darn your socks while you're still in its locks

Thanks once again to the magic of a pharmaceutically suppressed immune system, I have been diagnosed with my fourth ear infection of the year. It was not an option this time to avoid antibiotics. What a dumpster of a week. Have some links.

1. [personal profile] theseatheseatheopensea writes gorgeously about Desert Fury (1947) for the July issue of Edición Sunset. Pour a cold one out for Johnny Ryan.

2. I can understand the explosively invasive danger foreseen by this paper and still find the illustrating sea-colonization beautiful.

3. I have never seen any of the BBC adaptations of Neil Munro's Para Handy stories, partly because the one with the most attractive cast to me was burninated entirely and its next closest successor mostly doesn't survive, but in the process of running down a reference for a friend about fourteen years ago I discovered Highland Voyage (1964), a promotional film for the album of the same name which featured three-quarters of the cast of Para Handy – Master Mariner (1959–60) and a ringer from The Maggie (1954). The chain by which I was reminded of it began with [personal profile] spatch informing me about the phone box on Mull.

4. Bioarchaeology yields the first confirmed death by trebuchet, courtesy of the Siege of Stirling Castle. "What is large and moving very, very quickly in 1304?"

5. Via [personal profile] shewhomust: the Whiskered Auklet. It looks like a cartoon by B. Kliban, if B. Kliban drew birds.

My major achievement of last night was lying on a couch and watching three movies with Glenn Ford.
gwynnega: (Leslie Howard mswyrr)

[personal profile] gwynnega 2026-08-14 02:34 am (UTC)(link)
I'm so sorry about the ear infection.

The auklets are adorable.
alexxkay: (Default)

[personal profile] alexxkay 2026-08-14 04:17 am (UTC)(link)
Ryan North, who has been the writer of The Fantastic Four for the last few years and is a generally whimsical fellow, linked to the trebuchet article with the comment (paraphrased) "There are Fantastic Four story ideas everywhere if you're paying attention."
moon_custafer: Russian Futurism explodes (explodity)

[personal profile] moon_custafer 2026-08-14 01:55 pm (UTC)(link)
It does give new meaning to the sentence: "Poor guy never knew what hit him."
moon_custafer: Kate Beaton's Gatsby comics (jazz age)

[personal profile] moon_custafer 2026-08-14 01:47 pm (UTC)(link)
Wait, is that the same Ryan North who gave us Dinosaur comics? I can see him writing Fantastic Four.
alexxkay: (Default)

[personal profile] alexxkay 2026-08-15 04:05 am (UTC)(link)
Indeed it is, and he's been doing a great job! Though for me, his masterwork remains The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
kathmandu: Close-up of pussywillow catkins. (Default)

[personal profile] kathmandu 2026-08-14 04:34 am (UTC)(link)
Sending sympathy on the ear infection. Those are no fun, and neither were the antibiotics as I remember. The pharmacy could add flavorings like strawberry or bubblegum, but that didn't make it *better* - it just meant the flavor was now strawberry-awful or bubblegum-awful.
sholio: sun on winter trees (Default)

[personal profile] sholio 2026-08-14 05:09 am (UTC)(link)
One of the characters in my non-romance paranormal series (Keeley & Associates) is an auklet shifter (specifically a crested auklet), because they are such absolutely ridiculous-looking birds. Also, the trebuchet link is cool; thank you for sharing it!

I'm so sorry about the ear infection! That sounds absolutely unnecessary.
sholio: sun on winter trees (Default)

[personal profile] sholio 2026-08-14 07:42 pm (UTC)(link)
That's delightful! Any particular book, or the whole way through?

She's a minor antagonist in the first book, then a main (supporting) character from book 4 onward.

(This is completely optional and not in any way required, but I'd happily send you the books if you want me to.)
thisbluespirit: (pg - beaten)

[personal profile] thisbluespirit 2026-08-14 07:56 am (UTC)(link)
*hugs* I'm very sorry about the ear infection. <333

partly because the one with the most attractive cast to me was burninated

Well, of course. :-/ That sounds like a fascinating rabbit hole, though.

1. [personal profile] theseatheseatheopensea writes gorgeously about Desert Fury (1947) for the July issue of Edición Sunset. Pour a cold one out for Johnny Ryan.

eeee!!
thisbluespirit: (doomwatch)

[personal profile] thisbluespirit 2026-08-14 07:49 pm (UTC)(link)
I don't actually want to trade in my body for a brain in a jar!

No, Patrick Troughton tried to do that in Doomwatch and it didn't end well. XD
pameladean: (Default)

[personal profile] pameladean 2026-08-14 05:00 pm (UTC)(link)
I love the auklets' habits as much as their appearance. Active mostly at night! Seldom get more than a few miles from shore!

The ear infection is egregiously unnecessary. *hug*

P.
oracne: turtle (Default)

[personal profile] oracne 2026-08-14 07:02 pm (UTC)(link)
Sending best wishes for increasing health.
theseatheseatheopensea: Blurry photo of Peter Hammill. (Find I'm befriended in a foreign town.)

[personal profile] theseatheseatheopensea 2026-08-14 07:25 pm (UTC)(link)
Pour a cold one out for Johnny Ryan.

<3

My major achievement of last night was lying on a couch and watching three movies with Glenn Ford.

Definitely impressive! Which ones? (Apparently we both medicate in similar ways: last week I rewatched two movies with Joseph Calleia while I was recovering from otitis media. I hope you get rid of the infection and feel better very soon!)
theseatheseatheopensea: Lyrics from the song Stolen property, by The Triffids, handwritten by David McComb. (Default)

[personal profile] theseatheseatheopensea 2026-08-14 08:21 pm (UTC)(link)
Torpedo Run (1958), The Man from the Alamo (1953), and Jubal (1956), none of which I had seen before!

Excellent, it's extremely important to become up to date with his filmography *nods*

I hope yours was entirely dispelled by Joseph Calleia! Which films of his?

Sworn Enemy and The Conspirators, which helped! (The ear drops did as well!)
theseatheseatheopensea: A person reading, with a cat on their lap. (Reader and cat.)

[personal profile] theseatheseatheopensea 2026-08-16 02:02 am (UTC)(link)
He just turned up in Deadline at Dawn!

:D I really like that one, and coincidentally I have it coming right up on my long weekend rewatch list!
asakiyume: (Aquaman is sad)

[personal profile] asakiyume 2026-08-15 12:51 pm (UTC)(link)
Oh gosh, that's just terrible.

On the other hand, whiskered auklets are very sweet!

Agreed about the beauty of that riot of sea life.